Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spring Cleaning - Closet Style

It's that time of year again when "spring fever" hits and everyone starts their annual spring cleaning!  Let me be honest - I HATE spring cleaning.  I have always hated spring cleaning.  But this year, I have kind of gone off the deep end on spring cleaning.  I think I've just had enough of the stuff that we never use but I have to keep clean and organized (I use the term "organized" here very loosely...).  So this year I have gone all gung-ho on cleaning and organizing (let me put this in perspective...I've spent a week on my closet and an entire day on my linen closet...), and while cleaning I said to myself, "Self, I wonder if there's a way to display all of my scarves and all of my husband's ties without having to buy one of those expensive specialty tie/scarf hangers, because having them folded up in a drawer, we can't see what we have so we don't wear them..."  Keep in mind I was standing in my closet looking around while saying this to myself and then it hit me!  Most closets (mine included) have those wire rack thingies that you hang your clothes on so you can put stuff on the shelf created above, but there's about six inches of room between where your clothes stop hanging and your wall begins.  DING!  There went the lightbulb in my head.  I don't know why I didn't think of it before (and I'm sure if I'd searched for it at Pinterest I would have come up with this solution earlier...), but I felt like a genius when I hung all of my husband's ties behind his clothes:


It didn't hit me until a day later that the same could be done for my scarves!  So here's a top view of how I looped my scarves over every other rung (so they would all have room without crowding and getting smushed and whatnot):


And here's what they look like hanging behind my clothes.  Don't worry, they're color-coordinated so I can find a specific color quickly...pretty much everything is color-coordinated in my closet except the hangers...:


With the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from hanging all those scarves and ties, I decided to tackle my linen closet as well.  This is what it looked like before:


First, I just removed everything from the closet so I could start from scratch.  Then I organized everything into piles according to its use.  On the top shelf (since it's the highest one and not as easily reached) are a few extra blankets (all the heavy comforters and quilts went in the top of my closet since I wasn't using that space); the beach blankets and towels; and extra curtains, bed skirts, and table covers (they're not really table cloths since they're just fancy knitted/crocheted coverings to make the table pretty...).  On the second shelf from the top I put all the stuff that goes with the guest room.  On the left are the guest towels and washcloths, and on the right are extra sheet sets.  The next shelf down holds all the stuff that goes with the master bedroom.  Since we keep our towels on a rack in bathroom, this shelf holds washcloths and extra sheet sets.  The very bottom shelf holds extra fancy towels (I guess for when guests come over?) and some towels I was given when I went off to college that have my monogram on them and extra paper towels (I know the paper towel supply should go near the kitchen, but the kitchen is overcrowded as it is - I haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet for spring cleaning, but I will!).  That left room in the bottom of the closet to see the floor and put away my vacuum and steam cleaner.  So this is the finished product and I am so proud of myself:


Oh, and those extra sheet sets are organized as well so I have everything together right when I need it.  *Thank you Pinterest*  I pinned this about two months ago when I was trying to get myself ready for the "dreaded" spring cleaning (which has turned out to be very fun and rewarding, to my surprise!).  I don't know why I never thought of putting everything needed to change my sheets into one of the pillow cases in the closet...it seems like a no-brainer now that I know about it!  So, that's it for my first bit of spring cleaning.  I'm sure I'll bring you more updates as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment