Thursday, April 4, 2013

Upcycling Candle Jars

So I recently joined in on the Pinterest fun (I tried my best to not get sucked in, but apparently the pull of Pinterest was more than I could resist...and I'm glad for that), and after a lot of looking and clicking and browsing and, let's admit it, an unnatural amount of coffee, I came across a pin that screamed for me to read.  Before I jump into that, let me give you a little background.  You see, I spent a LOT of time on my grandmother's farm when I was little and, since she grew up in the Great Depression, you didn't waste anything at Grandma's.  And I mean anything.  Lord help you if you broke a crayon at Grandma's and tried to throw it away.  That being said, although I wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye (since she wasn't even a twinkle in her mother's eye...) during the Great Depression, I still feel guilty about throwing things away that I could reuse later (much to the chagrin of my husband...).  That goes for pretty glass jars from old candles, which is where I am at this point in time.  I love these pretty jars, but I don't want to risk scratching the jars to get all the wax out and whatnot...

Enter Stage Left: Pinterest


So after looking for a bit, I found a pin that might help me out with this.  So I clicked through to the original blog and I decided I'd give it a shot.  So, here's where I'm at right now:



Once I poured in the hot water, the wax in this one immediately came to the top.

These two took a while to get the wax started. 

This is such a pretty jar!  I have high hopes for it.

 I love this color!  Maybe I can make a smaller candle with this leftover wax...

Let's be honest, I sat there watching the wax slowly float to the top.  It was so pretty!

I guess now it's time to wait for the wax and the water to cool.

 Still waiting...

Still waiting...


You know, I think I'll go grab a sandwich and come back.  I'll post later with some updates on how everything turned out.  Now I've just gotta figure out what to do with all these jars.  Looks like I'm headed back to pinterest...

No comments:

Post a Comment